During his visit to Ireland, Japanese State Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Kazuyuki Nakane met with Mr. Ciaran Cannon, T.D., Minister of State for the Diaspora and International Development on the morning of 19 January 2018. The main outcomes of the meeting were as follows:
1. State Minister Cannon welcomed the visit to Ireland by State Minister Nakane and at the outset expressed condolences following the recent tragic incident involving a Japanese national in Ireland. Minister Cannon also stated that bilateral relations had been strengthened through many events and high level visits between the two countries over the past year to mark the 60th Anniversary of the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Japan and Ireland. State Minister Nakane responded by stating that he was honoured to participate in the 60th Anniversary closing ceremony and hoped that the momentum generated by the 60th anniversary would be maintained and bilateral relations would develop further.
2. Both Ministers welcomed the progress made in cooperation between the two countries in fields such as business and people-to-people exchanges, based on the 2013 Joint Declaration issued by the Prime Minister of Japan and Taoiseach of Ireland. Furthermore, in light of the current challenges to the free and open international order based on the rule of law, and in order to maintain and strengthen it, they agreed that Japan and Ireland, who share the same common basic values, closely cooperate.
3. With regard to the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union, both Ministers confirmed that they would continue to coordinate closely so that transparency and predictability for business activities in the U.K. and the E.U. could be ensured. In addition, both Ministers agreed to continue to work closely together for the early entry into effect of the Japan-EU Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
4. Regarding North Korea, both Ministers agreed a nuclear-armed North Korea is absolutely unacceptable and it is necessary to maintain maximum pressure using all means possible, including the full implementation of a new Security Council resolution.
5. Following the conclusion of the meeting, with further exchanges on global issues, both Ministers participated in the closing ceremony of the 60th Anniversary of the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Japan and Ireland.
Press and Cultural Affairs Section, Embassy of Japan in Ireland
Tel: 01 - 202 8305, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Release - "Meeting between Japanese State Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Kazuyuki Nakane and Mr. Ciaran Cannon, T.D., Minister of State for the Diaspora and International Development"
January 19, 2018